Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Fajitas

Exciting news: I turned in my notice to my apartments yesterday. 

This means so many things. It means I'm moving in less than 60 days. It means I need to figure out where to move. That means I need to figure out where I'm working in order to figure out where to move. 

It is insane to me that I have no idea where I'll be living or working in a matter of two months.

It also means few (no) projects for the next two months since I'll probably get an early start on packing pretty soon. But, I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on my job and home search and, once I move, Adventures in Domestication will be on project overload with a new place!

Anyway, even though there won't be projects, there will be plenty of eating:

At least twice a month, Jeremy and I have Fajita Night. About a year ago, he randomly made fajitas for me once and since then, it's been a biweekly (at least) tradition. Also since then, I have not ordered fajitas from a restaurant once (okay, okay, maybe at Joe T. Garcia's, but that's it!) because the fajitas my boy makes cannot be outdone. 

In my (not so) humble opinion, they are the best fajitas in Texas.

Watch closely, folks. Here's how it's done: 

You begin by cutting up skirt steak, against the grain.
The fajitas pieces slices look a little like this.
Here are the key ingredients: vegetable oil, one lime, liquid smoke and Fiesta Brand taco seasoning for beef tacos (you will see Fiesta Brand fajita seasoning at the grocery store - don't buy that, buy the taco seasoning).

I'm going to give you some suggested measurements, but please only take them as suggestions. Jeremy has never measured before, so these are mere estimates from him. Simply marinate to taste!

<1 pound skirt steak (feeds 2-2.5 people (by half, I mean Jacob))
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons taco seasoning
7-10 drops liquid smoke
Jeremy cuts the lime in half, sticks a fork inside and turns to get the most juice from the lime.


Once you've got it all in there, it should look a little something like this.
Then, he throws it all together.
He gets the pan really hot, then greases it with vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, he adds the meat with all of the juices and everything. Cook until brown and serve!
We serve our fajitas with plain black beans and grated cheese (the boy also adds jalapenos, sour cream and salsa).
This is what one of my fajitas looks like: a homemade corn tortilla, baked beans, cheese and fajita meat (I sandwich the cheese between the hot stuff to melt it a little).
This is what Jeremy's tortillas look like: a mess!
Because I don't make this, I'm not going to do the boys' approvals.

Let's just say, I approve these fajitas!

No comments:

Post a Comment