Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cookie Sheet Fail

So, when my aunt, Jill, first read my blog the other day, she gave me a call. She had a recipe that she thought I'd like to try and said it was really easy. There's five ingredients, you throw them together and bake it... easy enough, right?

I just had to make it difficult. It's my style.

The ingredients: 1 box yellow cake mix, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup oil, 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter & 1 cup chocolate chips.

Sounds simple, right? Not so much.

You see, I'm not a "cake mix" kind of girl, or any other kind of mix for that matter. I'm a from scratch kind of girl. All natural... something like that.

So, Jill said, maybe I could try it using only the dry ingredients from a yellow cake recipe, so I grabbed my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook & tried it...

I used: 2 1/2 cups flour, 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 3/4 cups sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla (I know it's not dry, but I love vanilla and use it whenever I can) and then the eggs, oil, peanut butter and chocolate chips from above.

Cooked it for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

It tasted fine, great even, but the texture/consistency was all wrong. Jill said it should be like that of a cookie. Well, it wasn't... at all. It crumbled all over the place.

So... readers - might you have any suggestions on how to alter this, or am I going to have to buy yellow cake mix from a box to get it right?

4 comments:

  1. It looks like it turned out more like a shortbread. Hmm... I think you might have to surrender to the yellow cake mix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cake mixes tend to have shortening in them, that may be the problem. That's the only thing I can think of that could have happened if you did everything else right, so you would probably need different amounts of oil and egg because if the lack of shortening. I don't do desserts, I don't like them in the house or I'll go hog wild and when I do bake, even though my husband tells me he wishes I would bake more, he doesn't touch it past the day I make it, so I either get my fat on because of my issue with food waste, or it gets wasted. You can't really give your friends cake or pie with a few missing slices!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I randomly thought of this while getting ready for work this morning... similar the comment above, but check the ingredients in a box cake and see what is different between the ingredients you used and what's in the box mix. I'm going to have to try this one though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will contribute to the negative posting comments haha. I also have a recipe for homemade cookie dough .. chocolate chip oatmeal. They are YUUMMY!! but soo flaky!! They always turn out this way and its like you have to eat them as soon as they come out of the over or else.

    ReplyDelete