Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Decorating Cookies

For New Years Eve, we decided at the last minute to head to Houston to see my best friend, Courtney, and her little family. I decided that baking "2011" cookies would be fun... and, since we'd be there the next day watching the Rose Bowl, I also baked footballs, trophies, helmets and roses...

They all turned out pretty cute, except my icing/frosting needs some work. I didn't realize I need "royal" icing in order for the cookies to actually keep their decorations. Mine... after a four hour car ride, were all kinds of purple, red and white mess because they decided to all trade and mix icing in the tupperware they were stored in.
Actually, for the New Years/Rose Bowl cookies, I used store bought frosting and colored it with food coloring. Then, more recently, Jeremy, Jacob and I decorated cookies together and I made my own cream cheese icing and colored it. The icing never thickened enough to be able to transport or anything.

(Both times, I used the sugar cookie recipe from my Baker's Illustrated cookbook - delicious! Jeremy called them the best sugar cookies he's ever had.)

So, in the future, I'll be learning how to make Royal Icing (which I'll share on here), but, until then, you can enjoy pictures of us having fun together.
As you'll be able to tell, Jacob picked the shapes/cookie cutters and colors for this round.

Daddy showing Jacob the way


But, it wasn't long before they started getting silly...



My cookies :)





Proud of his work

Jacob trying it out

No comments:

Post a Comment