Tuesday, January 11, 2011

P-Dub's Perfect Pot Roast

Because of my successes over the last month in the kitchen, I was feeling ambitious. Not only that, but when I told my step-grandma Terry about my cooking adventures and the fact that I LOVE the Pioneer Woman, she told me that P-Dub's Perfect Pot Roast was to-die-for. Hmm... I got to thinking, maybe I'll try it out... and try it out I did!

This last Saturday would be the big day. I didn't have to work and we didn't have a whole lot going on, so I figured that made for good timing. I told Jeremy we needed to have friends over because I'd be making a 3 lb. roast, and Jeremy, Jacob and I cannot (read: should not) eat an entire 3 lb. roast. He invited his long-time friend Keith, and Keith's girlfriend, Lauren.

Somehow I didn't realize until the day of that I would need a new pan, none of my pans were oven-safe. So, I headed to the mall, I mean Ross - and treasure was found. I scored a 12-quart Farberware stockpot safe to 350 degrees for $24.99... go me!

Because of my last-minute errand, dinner was delayed a bit, but no big deal - we were having laid-back friends over who cared mostly about football, so they didn't mind.

As far as sides, I decided to follow PW's advice to have her Delicious, Creamy Mashed Potatoes with my roast. I hadn't ever made mashed potatoes (on my own) either. Because those had to sit on the stove for 30 minutes, I got them peeled, cut and simmering on the stove first.


Then, I got started on the pot roast. I cut my veggies and browned them in some olive oil.

Then, I browned the pot roast itself.


As I've mentioned before, I'm not much of a stovetop person, so I had to take a picture of this: three burners going on at the same time... I'm a champion! The third saucepan was boiling water for my beef broth to go in the pot roast.


In it went... yum!


Beautiful, isn't it? Other than the onions, carrots and broth, I added 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, 2 sprigs of fresh thyme and 2 bay leaves. I didn't add any red wine because I don't drink it very often and didn't have any on hand. After this... it went into hiding in my oven for three hours. Man, was I anxious!


Back to the potatoes... mashed 'em up. I actually then put them in the fridge and heated them up in the oven when we were about to eat. Next time, I'll either make them later and not use the fridge, or use the fridge and leave them in the oven longer... they weren't quite warm enough when we ate them.

Check. This. Out.

This thing was PERFECT, just like the title says. Everyone loved it and Jeremy's only complaint was that I didn't make a larger one so that he could eat some leftovers.

Another reason I loved it was that, most of the work was done earlier in the day. So, once our friends arrived, I was able to visit and watch football with them rather than spending the entire time in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment