Tuesday, January 25, 2011

PW's "Cinnamon Toast the Right Way"

A few weeks ago, I started making Pioneer Woman's "Cinnamon Toast the Right Way." I haven't had the choice to stop since then because both of my boys are absolutely obsessed with it. 

It is delicious, I must say.

PW goes on a tangent about all of the different kinds of ways to make it and what's wrong and what's right. I thought this was all kind of silly... until I tried it the "right" way.

Homegirl has a point.

I used to just put some butter, sugar and cinnamon on a piece of bread when I was younger and throw it in the toaster oven. Never again.

The recipe posted is for 16 slices, which is a bit much for 2-3 people. So, when I'm cooking for two, I split the recipe in fourths, but I usually make enough for 3... and then I split the recipe into thirds, which is what I'm going to blog.

Ingredients for 1/3 (6-7 slices of bread):

6-7 slices of bread (the picture above is store bought bread, but the pictures below are homemade)
3/4 stick of butter, softened (6 tablespoons)
1/3 cup sugar
1 (heaping) teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 teaspoon vanilla (I usually do 1 tablespoon almost full because I love vanilla)

I usually head into the kitchen when I first wake up, preheat the oven and set the butter on top of the stove to help it soften. Once I'm more awake and ready to make it, I throw all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix them up until it becomes one spread. Like so:
Then you spread it on the bread (these slices are kind of awkward because I was at the end of the loaf and couldn't slice it perfectly) & bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. PW then suggests you broil them, but I have an irrational fear of burning things with the broiler so I skip that step.
Then, you enjoy!

The other day, Jacob went with me to the grocery store and, half thinking out loud, I said "Hmm... what do we need?" Jacob said "Cinnamon!" While we did need cinnamon, I hadn't told him that or said it in front of him, so I asked him "What are you talking about?" He said, "I need you to make me more of that yummy toast!" How cute!

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Does Jacob help you cook the cinnamon toast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not the cinnamon toast... but he does help me bake and decorate cookies. It's one of his favorite things at the moment. He's too sleepy to do anything more than watch a cartoon when I make cinnamon toast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's fun when you can involve the kids with these baking/cooking projects. They seem to learn a lot & love to help. Also, it prepares them for the future. My brother has his 2 little boys help every day with the cooking. They get so excited to help cook ;)

    ReplyDelete