Saturday, January 8, 2011

Spice Rack

So, readers... let me tell you a little bit about my kitchen. It's so small that it's nearly nonexistent. I must be thankful that I do now have a pantry, which I didn't have before. The problem is: now that I'm actually interested in spending time in my kitchen, I don't have room for anything. I'm serious - if you saw the insides of my cabinets and how likely they are to avalanche (kind of like my freezer) at any given point... you would be horrified for me.

While browsing around online one day, I saw some different products being sold on Etsy. These got my creative juices flowing which called for a project for Jeremy. I decided I wanted a two-tiered spice rack to hang on the wall in my kitchen with hooks on the bottom for aprons. The wall at the end of my kitchen has been bare since I moved in because I hadn't found the 'right' thing to hang on it - finally, it's clothed.

Also, this would clear up an entire small cabinet above my microwave, so now that cabinet can be solely for baking products (which were 1/2 in that cabinet and the other 1/2 were in a cabinet down below, which was really annoying). Perfect! Off to work.


The boys went to Lowe's to get the wood, then I went back with them later to pick out the hooks and color for the paint. My kitchen/dining room have recently taken a turn for a red and black theme, so I went with it. Jeremy cut the wood and put it together, and then I painted it. Once it was done being painted, Jeremy screwed the books on the bottom and the hooks on the back to hang it up with. I apologize, I didn't have my camera with me during the construction process, but here is the final product:
Please, let me explain the hole in the wall... you see, when Baxter was first brought into our home and not exactly 'domesticated,' he thought for a while that the best way to get outside... was through the kitchen wall.

This picture should be evidence enough that my kitchen is far too small... the top of the fridge has become a storage area. I tell myself daily 'only a few more months.'

Alas, that's the spice rack which I'm so proud of. Thank goodness Jeremy is a handy man! I've already got ideas for something similar in the bathroom. I must get back to my (first!) pot roast now... wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment