Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Breakfast Cookies

Last week, Jeremy and some of his friends were going to come over pretty spontaneously. I didn't have anything prepared, nor did I really need to prepare anything, but I felt like making some type of cookie.

I went searching online, texted a few friends and even called a few. Nothing sounded very good for some reason. Then, Leslie called me back and told me about a Martha Stewart Cookies cookbook she had.

With me on the phone, she just kind of flipped through until something sounded interesting. For some reason, I was being very picky.

Then, she came to Martha's Banana-Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies. Finally, something sounded good! And, I had some bananas in my freezer I looked them up online and read the ingredients to Leslie to confirm they were the right cookies. Then, I got to work.

You start by whisking together the flour, salt and baking soda.
If you have a KitchenAid stand mixer, combine the sugars and butter in the bowl with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium until "pale and fluffy," switch to low. Add the vanilla and egg, mix until combined. Mix in mashed banana. Then, add the flour and mix until just combined. 
Once you're done there, add in your oats, nuts (I used almonds) and chocolate chunks.
Slap chunks onto a baking sheet and cook at 375 degrees for 12-13 minutes.
How delicious do these look?
[This is me practicing taking pictures of food.]

I actually forgot the chocolate in mine, and as a result, ended up with the perfect (in my opinion) breakfast/brunch type cookie. It is very banana bread-like as the recipe site describes it, and I thought it was very unique. Next time you're hosting a breakfast/brunch or attending one where you need to bring something, bring these!

[I may or may not have eaten a good majority of these the next morning while laying in bed. I'm not proud of this, but they were delicious.]

Also, friends, I went to Half Price Books yesterday in scope of some cookbooks. I actually had my heart set on finding a good bread specific book, but no luck there. I did pick up Delicious & Dependable Slow Cooker Recipes by Judith Finlayson and The Easy-to-Use Beginner's First Cook Book by Bridget Jones. I'll be trying lots of stuff from these soon, so get excited.

4 comments:

  1. You should check out the magazine "Simple & Delicious" by Taste of Home. It has a lot of really yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do! Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete