Thursday, February 17, 2011

Oven-Roasted Potato Wedges

Last week, I made a trip to Half Price Books in search of some cookbooks. One of the books I bought was The Easy-to-Use Beginner's First Cook Book by Bridget Jones. I brought both books home, flipped through them and flagged the recipes in each I'd like to try pretty soon. In the books by Jones, I flagged the oven-roasted potato wedges because they looked delicious.

I've never been a big potato wedges fan. I love mashed potatoes, baked potatoes and french fries (you know, the healthy potatoes), but I've never really liked boiled potato chunks, any kind of potato chunks or potato wedges. They just have a certain potato taste I don't really like.

But, the picture in this book made them look too good. I had to try them out and decided to have them with my brisket last Wednesday.

Here's the recipe:

Olive oil
4 medium to large potatoes
1 tsp mixed dried herbs
sea salt flakes

Preheat your oven to 475 degrees. Coat your pan (a shallow roasting pan) with olive oil and stick in the oven to get really hot. 

They wind up looking like this, and my best description was a potato chip taste on the outside with a baked potato taste on the inside: perfect, am I right?
Cut your potatoes into long, thin wedges and rinse off. Dry with a dish towel.
Once your pan has had enough time to get really hot, put the potatoes into the pan.
[Explanations for why I used two pans at the bottom of this post]
Sprinkle the herbs over it (I used a good amount of basil, salt and pepper)
Cook for 20 minutes. They'll look like this.
The recipe suggests serving with mayonnaise. I don't like mayonnaise, but the boy really liked them in mayo and barbeque sauce.

Lesson of the day: When you spill stuff in your oven, make sure to clean your oven really well afterward. Remember when I made Beer Bread and used way too much sugar and it spilled everywhere? Well, the boy did clean up a little for me, but I don't think either of us realized I would later be heating my oven up to 475 degrees. So I put my first pan in the oven to warm up per the above recipe, and after a few minutes, Jeremy asks me why the apartment is so smokey.

Maybe because my oven is on fire?

2 comments:

  1. I make potato wedges all the time. Next time try it with parm cheese and garlic salt... it's really yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look good!
    Don't worry you're not the only one that's had an oven on fire! I made monkey bread for our first valentine's day and the bundt pan was 2 pieces so you can easily get a pound cake out or whatever. Yeah... it also allowed for the brown sugar and butter to leak out and catch on fire and make our smoke detectors go off. How romantic.

    ReplyDelete