Friday, February 25, 2011

Fossil Rim Wildlife Center

Hello, Mr. Very Tall Animal. It's so nice to see you in my car window!

Last Sunday, the boys and I made the road trip out to Fossil Rim Wildlife Center [before my free passes from a former employer expired at the end of this month]. We had been once before - but, it was in the heat of summer. That time, we got there at about 8:00 a.m. to try to see the animals before they went to hide in the shade. Even still, about halfway through the zoo, most of the animals wouldn't come near us. It was just way too hot.

Anyway, we went back last Sunday. It was an absolutely beautiful day and all of the animals were out enjoying it with us!

The ostriches are kind of crazy and stress me out a little bit. They do things like: stand in the middle of the road so you can't drive through [pictured below] and I've even seem them stick their ugly heads in peoples' cars. Yuck!
The zebras are very friendly! This one was trotting right on over to grab some treats out of our hands.
The hair on your neck makes you look not-so-friendly, Mr. Zebra!
Sure, eat right out of Jacob's hand. I'm sure the slobber you leave won't end up on my car seats or anything.
Oh, you wanted treats, too?
On top of animals, there are some beautiful views at Fossil Rim.
Please get those horns AWAY from my car!
The boys were oddly okay with these large animals slobbering all over their hands. Gross.
I kept concentrating on the driver's side of the car (where the boys were) to take pictures, and I'd look back at my side, and there would be a strange animal patiently waiting for me to give them treats.
Again, the beautiful views. This is the scenery while eating at the cafe about halfway through the zoo.
Mr. Zebra, I think you might need to see an orthodontist. Just sayin'.
And the highlight of Fossil Rim [for us, anyway]: The giraffes!
Unfortunately, when we pulled up to the giraffes last time we came, they were hiding far far away trying to stay cool. This time, they had just been fed and wanted nothing to do with us.
The zebras, of course, wanted everything to do with us.
But, all of the sudden, that huge giraffe you saw above literally ran over to us. It was crazy and it was awesome. And, it stuck it's big 'ol head right up to our window. And we got to feed it.

And we loved it.
This picture was taken from outside my passenger side window of Mr. Giraffe on the other side of the car. He's up there in the clouds!
He was very pretty, too. After we fed him for a few minutes, he decided to share himself with everyone else and marched to the car immediately behind ours. So long, friend. We enjoyed our time!
The cheetahs were even wandering around this time!
Anyway, that was our experience this time at Fossil Rim and I would highly recommend to go during mild weather than, let's say, August. 
It's a fantastic time for the entire family, but Jacob especially loved it, of course. 
"I really like this zoo," he told us. 


1 comment:

  1. I love the new layout! I really want to go to Fossil Rim...just not sure if 2 teenagers would love it?

    ReplyDelete